Helping people with oral and written communications and personal development for over 20 years by teaching individuals skills to improve business and/or personal day-to-day interactions with clients, significant others, family members and other important people in your life to build stronger, more effective, and richer relationships.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Not Working? Networking!

In today’s tough career market, it’s important to explore new avenues and broaden your horizons. It seems that when I’m looking at the job listings online these days there are not a lot of jobs available and even less that match my specific qualifications or experience. What I’ve been doing more and more is branching out and looking for opportunities to network, especially in fields that are outside my usual business ventures. Stepping outside the norm can lead to greater self awareness as well as opening up new opportunities.

Recently, I went to a networking meeting with a group of book publishers. I figured, well, I do write, so let’s check it out. One topic that can up during the meeting was how to prepare for public speaking events and self-promotion when talking about their books. How do I get over the nervousness? How can I effectively present myself and my book? Since I’ve spent over 10 years working with people on their presentation skills, I realized that can bring great value to them. Because of this event, I have now have teamed up with author Perry Brass, and we are doing workshops together based in his book, The Manly Art of Seduction.

I am now getting more involved with the art and non-profit world, and started taking courses at NYU in arts administration. Back in school, talk about networking opportunities!!! One of my classmates came to our gallery opening, along with someone who took my workshop. Talk about connections!!!

My challenge for me, and you, is to look for groups that share your interests and check them out -- who knows where it can lead! So turn your free time from Not Working, into productive time, Networking!

No comments:

Post a Comment